Thursday, January 18, 2007

What caused the Nene bird to be endangered?

For some strange reason, I am becoming fascinated with endangered species. For this post, I am focusing on the nene bird.
The nene bird as we all know is the state bird of Hawaii. I know that the nene bird is endangered, but what caused the nene bird to become endangered?

The nene bird is a land bird. The nene is supposedly an evolved Canadian goose. It has adapted to living on the lava land. The nene used to have webbed feet but has transformed their feet into claw like shape to adapt to living on the harsh lava rocks. I have seen the nene up close and personal at the volcano golf course, they are very slow moving and really beautiful to look at.

From what I have read so far, many species become endangered because their habitat is destroyed. Apparently this happened to the nene bird too. When Captain Cook came to the islands, there were about 25,000 nene birds. With Captain Cook and other people to the islands, things around the islands changed, as well as the habitat of the nene birds. As people were building on the islands, the nene lost their habitat and deforestation happened.

With new people to islands came new animals. These new animals were predators of the nene bird. Predators like the mongoose, rats, wild dogs and cats preyed on the helpless nene. By 1950, there were only 50 nene birds on the islands. Being that the nene is slow when moving, it was an easy target for hunters too!

On May 7, 1957 population has increased. About 890 the nene bird became our state bird. Since becoming the state bird, the nenenenes are found around the islands. Worldwide though there are about 2000 nene birds in zoo's, captivity and in nature. I have hope that the nene population will increase with time.... *crossing my fingers*.....

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i LOVE PANDAS! so much,if they got extinct my life would horrible. I would never be happy again. if Pandas became extinct i would cry and hate the world for the rest of my life.- Sad panda lover

Anonymous said...

I love pandas!!!! I am so angry they are becoming extinct. I just hate how people are destroying there natural habitat!!!!!!!!!! I would die if they became extinct.
-kung fu panda-po

Anonymous said...

pandas are quit and i just love pandas how are people just so mean that they just take inesent animals habbitats i am going to just cry and cry we need to save them

-piggy

Anonymous said...

i llllllllllllllooooooooooooooooooovvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvveeeeeeeeeeeeee pandas ssssssssssssoooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much i want to save them do you

-piggy